NDD PARKLET PROGRAM
The 2021 NDD Parklet Program will take place from mid-June through October. The fourth edition of this program has been expanded to include pop-up parklets, which make the program available to a larger portion of the Downtown District. If you are a small business or company and would like to receive a free parklet, please fill out the application form below. See the Safety Guidelines for information on traffic safety and eligible streets.
PASS THE MIC
As a way to attract more visitors to NDD parklets and encourage people to buy local, the NDD has launched Pass the Mic, a pop-up music concert series taking place at parklets all around the district and running through early Fall. Promoted with a combination of social media using the NDD Red Urban Bears, email blasts, and the NDD monthly newsletter, each performance features a different local musician on alternating Tuesdays, at different parklet locations, from 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm.
Hope you can join our next show!
- September 28th, 12:30-1:30 pm, Williams Street Concert Series in front of The Black Home, Go!Go! Curry!, SECÜR, and Newark Rx Pharmacy
- October 12th, 12:30-1:30 pm, Halsey Street Concert Series in front of Boss Blend Coffee Co., Hlsy Co., and Marco Hall
*Location and dates subject to change.*
The NDD Parklet Program allows for increased outdoor dining space and is a way to extend the presence of mini-parks in the Downtown District.
Benefits of Parklets:
- Increase business activity at nearby restaurants and cafes
- Provide much-needed green spaces in an urban area
- Increase vibrancy for a more inviting downtown environment
Identifying an appropriate location for a parklet is key to successful implementation because not all sites are suitable. A set of safety guidelines needs to be followed.
- Be at least 15 feet from any fire hydrant
- Be at least 60 feet from any bus stop or shelter
- Have at least 5 feet of unobstructed clearance from utilities, loading zones, or handicapped parking
- Be on City-controlled streets with a posted speed limit of 25 mph or less
CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
The 2021 NDD Parklet Program is aimed at assisting small businesses during these unprecedented times. In an effort to increase pedestrian traffic and provide safe outdoor experiences that respect COVID-19 guidelines, the NDD is expanding its Parklet Program.
Historically, the NDD has placed wooden parklets throughout the Downtown District on eligible streets, which are determined by traffic safety criteria. This year, the NDD will also be placing pop-up parklets. By placing them in front of or near small businesses, it is expected that foot traffic in those areas will increase, and the adjacent businesses will benefit from that activity. All parklets are fully insured by the NDD.
The NDD is looking for parklet sponsors to help cover the cost of parking fees and/or safety equipment. All parklet sponsors will have their name featured on parklet signage, promoted on the NDD website and social media, and featured in a corresponding press release.
If you or your organization would like to support a downtown business through this parklet sponsorship opportunity, please email email@example.com.