The Newark Loew’s State Theatre first opened on December 12, 1921, presenting vaudeville and a first-run feature movie. Due to its Loew’s affiliation, it was always considered one of the top theaters in downtown Newark. “The Wizard of Oz”, played there in its original 1939 release. It remained a Loew’s for its entire lifetime. It was closed in 1977, and was demolished in 1978.